The Black and Indian Mission Office comprises three distinct but inter-related organizations, whose mission is to fulfill the Church’s primary mission of evangelization. Each organization cooperates with local Diocesan communities to spread the Good News of Jesus Christ by providing grants to African American, Native American and Alaska Native Catholic communities. Grant funds are used to enliven parish life and catechesis, helping educators reach students, empowering evangelizers and encouraging vocations.
The Accountant maintains the daily financial records, processes the month and year end financial close and maintains the grant records. The Accountant is supervised by the Director of Operations and works on other projects with the Executive Director. The responsibilities of the Accountant are as follows:
- Assisting with financial statement audit and the preparation of the annual budget.
- Preparing the monthly financial statements and reports.
- Preparing cash and investment reconciliations and other monthly reconciliations.
- Preparing check requisitions, assigning account and program codes, verifying adequacy of budgets, circulating of the invoice voucher packages for approval and generating checks.
- Recording journal entries in the accounting system and monitoring cash flow needs.
- Maintaining the fixed assets schedule including updating the schedule for capital expenditure, calculating depreciation and recording disposals.
- Reviewing grant applications and following up on incorrect information.
- Preparing and maintaining the grant schedules for grants issued and accountability reports.
- Preparing and processing grant checks and letters.
- Recording donor receipts into Donor Perfect and reconciling the donations to validated bank deposits as well as to the accounting system uploads on a daily basis.
- Maintaining and updating the donor database in Donor Perfect and issuing acknowledgement letters to donors.
- Implementing policies and procedures with emphasis on internal controls.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills required:
- Undergraduate Accounting or Finance degree required
- 5+ years progressive accounting experience
- QuickBooks knowledge required
- Donor Perfect knowledge preferred
- Proficiency in Windows and Microsoft Office suite
- Good analytical, organization and problem solving skills
- Ability to work well under short deadlines and handle multiple tasks at one time
- Self-starter with the ability to take initiative and direction
- Evening and weekend work are required
Application Instructions: Please email your résumé and a cover letter explaining your personal interest, qualifications and salary requirements for the position to firstname.lastname@example.org.